Pages

Monday 2 January 2012

Classicism

This post is here to indulge in my love of the style of the 40's /50's era. I know it's the beginning of a new year, put sometimes learning from the past can be a good thing. It is by far my go-to time period to look for style inspiration in terms of elegant and classical dressing. I feel men and women back then made so much more of an effort to get ready, and that even travelling one should have looked good.
Today the image of Audrey Hepburn at the airport with her Louis Vuitton speedy and huge dark shades is replaced by people waddling along in their UGGs and sweat pants, with hair scruffed up in a messy bun (not in a good way). So here are a few images, older and more contemporary, to inspire a little more classic glamour into your wardrone, or indeed hair/make-up. A little Rita Hayworth-esque wave and a dash of red lipstick spells out, 'I am way too classy to pull a Britney and forget to put on anything of THAT nature before I leave the door.'


One of my favourite Robert Doisneau photographs - perfectfly capturing that beautiful mixture of  the romance and classicism of the past.
 

Rita Hayworth - need I say more?

Photos from the blog of Swedish singer, Andreas Wijk. I think he is definitely reinventing classic style for the modern age. Can anyone say, dashing?



Not only is Gossip Girl one of the shows I am addicted to, but it's one on which I feel the characters are styled to really suit NYC and the lifestyle they are supposed to lead. Ed Westwick's character, Chuck Bass is by far the best-dressed male. I literally, die over Eric Daman's work as a stylist in this show, so amazing!

Yes, I watch KUWTK - without shame, lol. Scott Disick is also, despite what's happened in his personal life, one heck of a stylish man. I absolutely adore the fact that he's always in a suit, and even his casual/travelling attire consists of Ralph Lauren and Tod's loafers. He takes that old world appeal of always looking your best and brings it right into the modern day. Guys, style cues right here (cane is optional) ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment