Pages

Friday 2 March 2012

Oscars 2012 - My Best Dressed

Hi guys! So I'm sorry I have been a bit MIA recently, but there has been so much to do! But I'm back with, of course, my breakdown of my favourite Oscar looks from this year. I thought this year was a great moment for Oscar fashion as I felt a decided movement away from your typical, Cinderella-1000-layers-of- tulle dresssing. Maybe this says something about the modern approach to red-carpet dressing, if, on the most glamorous one of them all, these stars are defining glamour and femininity as something more than just the typical 'big ballgown'? That's not to say that there wasn't fantasy, becasue that's what couture is all about, but its fantasy in a more forward-thinking way. So here we go...
 Jessica Chastain was my official best-dressed of the night. I think we all expected to see her in saccharin sweet confection, but instead she stepped out in this glorious McQueen gown. And she killed it. I love the dark glamour of this gown, but the fact that its insane gold embroidery gives it that regal elegance appropriate for a nominee to wear it what makes it the right choice for her. I love the easy but still glamorous hair and just thought this look was overall perfection.

 I think my first post ever was about Elie Saab, and you'll come to know how obsessed I am with his designs. It was from drooling over his collections on style.com (which, yes, I still do,) that I really first fell in love with fashion and the potential it holds for high-stake glamour. Mila Jovovich looked radiant in this bold asymetrical gown. I loved the red lip and that strong shoulder.


 Zuhair Murad is another designer who simply makes beautiful clothes that women look even more beautiful. Jennifer Lopez seems made for this gown, her body looks incredible (I mean, do I even need to say that) and its that dramatic, exuberant style we know and love about this multi-talented star which made this one of my faves from the night. I am a huge fan of the chic updo and love that she didn't over-do accessories. It keeps the look bold but clean, beautifully balanced by the romantic and soft shade of the dress.
 Michelle Williams in Vuitton. Such a gorgeous shade and just so innocent and sweet, but with a hint of sexy that is not vulgar or in-your-face. The tiers of beautiful chiffon are decadent but never excessive. Magical.
Finally, Gwyneth Paltrow in Tom Ford. This is not usually the type of look I like, I'm definitely more of a maximalist when it comes to fashion, but honey when Tom Ford touches something - you know it's gonna turn to gold. Or in this case, a white-hot, powerful statement that perfectly shows off Paltrow's Tracy Anderson-toned figure. I LOVE the cape. Its is so not easy to take risks on this carpet, but I think this one was sleek, chich and an overall winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment